I am obsessed with veggie burgers! ❤ What is there not to love? The first thing I searched for when I got to Vancouver is where to find the best veggie burgers. Thankfully there’s a lot of places! And although its great to go out on the town, I’ve experimented making many veggies burgers at home and this is by far my favourite! It’s meaty, juicy and full of deliciousness! The secret is the mixture of mushrooms, black beans and brown rice!
I love topping my burgers with this amazing vegan queso cheese. I’ll post the recipe tomorrow 🙂
Ingredients for burgers (makes roughly 10 patties):
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- 12 medium white mushrooms
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- Half an onion
- 1 Large can of Black Beans (528 ml, strained)
- 3/4 Oat Flour (or Blend 3/4 of a Cup of Oats in high-speed blender)
- 2 Table Spoons of Chia Seeds
- Olive Oil (or any oil, for the pan)
- 2 Cups of Brown Rice
- Spices & Flavors:
- Soy Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Make two cups of brown rice on the stove top. Set aside. I put a couple dashes of soy sauce in the water before I cook the rice for extra flavour.
2. Pre-heat the oven at 350 F
3. Drizzle some olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat
4. In a food processor, finely chop the garlic, mushrooms, onion, celery, and carrot. This may be too much for your processor to do at once, so process things separately if needed
5. Place all the chopped ingredients into the pre-heated pan and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until the mushrooms have softened. Throw in some salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add in the spices. Play around with the amount, but I usually do 5-6 dashes of soysauce, a couple shakes of garlic powder, a teaspoon and a half of cayenne pepper, and sprinkle of italian seasoning. Let the spices sit and absorb in the veggie mixture for 3-4 minutes.
7. In a food processor blend almost the full can of beans. Leave a handful of beans on the side to throw in later, for texture. The blended beans should be almost like a paste.
8. Throw the beans into the skillet and stir. Throw in the whole beans you left to the side as well.
9. Throw in two cups of the brown rice and stir. Taste to see if you may need to add more spices.
10. Add in two tablespoons of Chia seeds, stir.
11. Add in Oat flour slowly, and stir to thicken the mixture as you add. For me, 3/4 of a cup of oat flour thickened up my burger mixture pretty well. It should be pretty thick at this point but if it isn’t add more!
12. Let the mixture cool down, I actually put it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, just so I can make patties easier.
13. Once the mixture is cooled down, using your hands roll and squish patties onto a lined cooking pan
14. Place in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. Flip. Return to Oven.
15. 10-15 Minutes later the burgers should be ready!